Assistant Professor, Biology
My PhD project might be of relevance since it was related to green tea and its chemopreventive effects. I also taught BIOL 380 three times in the past.
- Sonish Azam, Nathalie Jouvet, Arshad Jilani, Ratsah Vongsamphanh, Xiaoming Yang, Stephan Yang and Dindial Ramotar (2008) “Human GAPDH functions as a redox factor to reactivate the oxidized form of the DNA repair enzyme APE1”. J. Biol. Chem. Nov; 283 (45): 30632-41.
- Sonish Azam, Elliot Drobetsky, Dindial Ramotar (2007) “Overexpression of the cis/trans isomerase PTPA triggers caspase 3-dependent apoptosis”. Apoptosis. Jul; 12(7): 1243- 55.
- Azam S, Hadi N, Khan N.U, Hadi S.M (2004) “Pro-oxidant property of green tea polyphenols epicatechin and epigallocatechin-3-gallate: implications for anticancer properties”. Toxicol. In Vitro. Oct; 18(5): 555-61.
- Uddin Q, Malik A, Azam S, Hadi N, Azami A.S, Parveen N, Khan N.U, Hadi S.M (2004) “The biflavonoid, amentoflavone degrades DNA in the presence of copper ions”. Toxicol. In Vitro. Aug; 18(4): 435-40.
- Azam S, Hadi N, Khan N.U, Hadi S.M (2003) “Antioxidant and peroxidant properties of caffeine, theobromine and xanthine”. Med. Sci. Monit. Sep; 9(9): BR325-30.
- Malik A, Azam S, Hadi N, Hadi S.M (2003) “DNA degradation by water extract of green tea in the presence of copper ions: implications for anticancer properties”. Phytother. Res. Apr; 17(4): 358-63.
- Hadi N, Malik A, Azam S, Khan N.U & Iqbal J (2002) “Serotonin-Cu (II)-mediated DNA cleavage: mechanism of copper binding by serotonin”. Toxicol. In Vitro. Dec; 16(6): 669-74.
My favourite recipe is Tuna Kebabs!
2 medium size potatoes
1 can of tuna (120-150 g)
one medium size onion – chopped
Red chili pepper powder – to taste
¼ tbsp. cumin powder
¼ tbsp. black pepper powder
salt- to taste
a bunch of cilantro
1 green chilly
Boil or microwave the potatoes until they are soft. Peel and mash the potatoes in a bowl. Mix the drained tuna out of the can with the potatoes. Add 1/8 tbsp black pepper, salt, red chili pepper and cumin powder to the bowl and mix well. Chop green chilly and cilantro and add to the bowl. Fry a chopped onion in 2 tbsp of oil. When golden brown, add to the bowl with other ingredients and mix well. In a dish beat an egg with 1/8 tbsp black pepper. Make patties with the potato-tuna mix then fold them in the egg mix. Make sure that both sides of the patties are covered with the egg mix. Fry the patties for 5 min in 2 tbsp cooking oil in a frying pan. Add 2 tbps of oil over the patties and turn them. Fry for another 5-7 minutes. Make sure they are brown on both sides or cook them a little longer. Serve when done with naan bread, in sandwiches or on their own.
Below are some pictures of my roof top kitchen garden and the yield this summer